Sunday 9 December 2012

Cooking with Santa DD, Snow and More painting

The stair spindles are finally finished!  I haven't decided how to decorate the along the stairs yet.  I think I'll wait now till we get new carpet put in. I have this large pine mirror that I'd like to paint but I saw in the Shabby Chic forum in MSE someone glued embossed wallpaper to the frame and given it a gilted effect.  For the life of me I cannot find it but I will post as soon as I come across it again.  It was very effective and I'd like to have a go.  I already picked up some samples from Homeb@se but it wasn't long enough so might have to go back for some more.

The roads have come to a stand still on Wednesday when we had the first snowfall of the year.  I love the white stuff! but we were stuck in traffic on the way to school for more than half an hour, usually 10-15 minutes.  I know we can walk it, but with the puschair it would take us about an hour to get there and me and DD back.  I managed it before, once and never again. Too tiring with the children.  I could walk for miles, ME...lol.  Anyway, they had fun throwing snow balls and DD got her bucket and spade to make a snow castle. Bless!
DD's handprints

It was the week for the School Christmas bazaar too and I volunteered to help setting up but they we're all sorted when I got there.  I was early enough to get 5 brand new frames for £4, books for DD and new 7.5tog duvet that would be used for wadding when I actually get round to making a quilt, or padding for the chairs that I will re-upholster one day.  I will find a use for it.  But DH is not happy cos it's another thing that will be stored and take up space. :{
Prior to that I made some gingerbread men and shapes with DD to take to the Bazaar.  Took them 'naked' as didn't have time to decorated.  Most of them went! I have to say I don't like decorating cakes.  I love making/baking but not decorating.  I think maybe because I know how much butter and sugar are already in them and don't need the extra icing.  I leave it to the children :)
Very simple recipe here: Gingerbread Recipe
I used the Laura Ashley cutters which has the snowflakes too.  The 2 large ones are plastic which didn't hold their shapes when baked.  We made more than the pic and I will be making some more, Milky big buttons and smarties have been bought.


 
And we finally saw Father Christmas yesterday.  He was at the library.  DD wanted to dress up to see him but still keeping warm thus the long-sleeved top under her Santa outfit I got from T3sco last year.  I was surprised that DD wasn't scared at all like last year.  She wouldn't look at Santa last year.  She talked to him too, which was really sweet as she is normally shy and hides her face when spoken to by strangers.  She has asked for a magic wand ( I think more like a fairy wand) for Christmas and when she got her goody bag she said, nearly in tears, there is no magic wand.  We just told her that it will be under the tree on Christmas day if she's a good girl :)


She had her face painted while we were there and she wanted to be a clown just like the one in Tig in Woolly and Tig.  I do like that show :) Tig is adorable.  Face painting is another skill I'd like to learn and I did thought of making my own version of woolly for DD...one day ...lol


Now I wand to have a go at making her a fairy wand.  Maybe like these ones:






The Modest Homestead

4 comments:

  1. Your daughter is a real cutie! Husbands never understand us squirreling things away. I try to smuggle things in and deny all knowledge of their newness, pretending we always had them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! x

      Haha...yes I've done it myself, many times!

      Delete
  2. she is adorable =)
    I'll be happy if you check out my blog too=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RG! I will go and have a nose in your blog and and subsribe while am there. I always welcome friends on here x

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...