Sunday 9 June 2013

Sewing dresses - shirring & pillowcase

The clothes I was going to show off are the ones I made for DD few days ago.  I am so happy I can now sew something that is good enough to wear :)

First, is this dress using a pillow case dress tutorial.  I am not good at explaining instructions but there are plenty of great tutorials out there.  I had this fabric for a long time.  I used to know a lovely old lady who is an experienced sewer and bought a load of fabric for her to make me some dresses.  She made some lovely maxi dresses but there are not now to my taste so I pass them to to my niece who is growing like a weed.  Getting taller everyday.  At first I thought it was a little short so I added another piece of fabric I used for the ribbon.  I made some mistakes, like sewing the ribbons on the wrong side and making the 'J' armhole a little big.  It would be ok but I have a skinny minnie DD.  I didn't like showing her bare arms too much.


 Shirred dresses - this is the first time I tried shirring and I love the result. So much that I made 2 dresses to give to DD's friends. One of them wore it at pick-up time at school and she looked so cute!
The first one I did was the checked in the middle, I went back to get some more of this fabric but they've all gone. Lovely and light fabric. The purple striped is cotton but a little thicker. 




 
 She wears it with the tights-turned leggings.
I made another of the purple striped with different straps.  Tried straps with flutter but it's harder to adjust the fit.  I kept unpicking it.  I think next time I will put elastic inside the straps so it will be snug on the shoulder instead of keeps falling off.  Photo to follow.

3rd - playsuit.  This took me all day! but it is easy once you made one. I was being very careful following every step of the tutorial but made a simple band on the chest instead of pleats on the tutorial. DD doesn't want to wear it though because it isn't a dress! I love the fabric and I may make myself a top.  I bought 2 meters, you have to when it's only 66p / m! I might buy some more next time.

4th -  This skirt is actually the very first one I made. It is made from left over fabric from a Next double duvet cover turned single.  This is the bottom of the bed and it's too pretty so I thought it would make a lovely skirt. The back and front are different panels so it's actually reversible...lol...it may look odd but DD likes it :) At first I just fold over the top of the fabric for the elastics but then it was too bulky on the waist so I unpicked it and made a waistband which is better.


I am happy to report that the table has had it's first coat of zinsser bin.  I tried sanding it with an electric sander but the wood isn't getting lighter.  I was planning a bare wood top and waxing / varnishing.  Now it will all be painted to match the chairs.  DH has acquired some great looking table tops LA shop was getting rid of them, slight fault / cracking.  I must show you some photos.

4 comments:

  1. Those dresses are lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicci! they are so easy even I can do it :) x

      Delete
  2. I'd seen those dresses on pinterest, and it's on my mile long list of things to do! So cute! And the table is coming along nicely! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! they're still time to make dresses, summer's not even here yet...lol x

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...